The strength of this barrier can be weakened by lifestyle habits that can deplete the body’s reserves, such as stress, poor dietary habits, and lack of exercise. Replenishing nutrients essential to healthy immune function can help, as well as ensuring adequate rest and relaxation. Now is a great time to start strengthening your system when threats start to attack your immune system, which will be more prevalent in upcoming cool months.
Get more powerful immune supportive nutrition.
The following nutrients may help you build a healthy “core” defense on a daily basis, or provide more intensive support when you need it most:
- High potency vitamin C—Look for a clinically tested vitamin C complex that is buffered (designed to prevent stomach upset) and shown to have greater absorption than less potent vitamin C forms to enhance the body’s natural defense system.
- Health-enhancing mushrooms—Shiitake, reishi, fu-ling, turkey tail, oyster, cordyceps, and maitake mushrooms all offer a time-tested approach to a healthy defense system. Look for water extracts, which may strengthen their protective actions.
- Essential zinc—Helps keep your mucosal membrane strong and boosts production of white blood cells and natural killer cells.
- Oleanolic acid—Shown in preliminary studies to enhance total white blood cell count for a stronger immune defense.
- Selenium—An antioxidant mineral which also plays a role in immune function, including white blood cell activity.
Call to the Natural Care Clinic at 905.631.0880 to schedule a visit to learn more about how you can bolster your body’s ability to stay well all year long.