How-to-guide for getting back to track after a summer vacation or holiday!
As the food coach at Natural Care Clinic, I – for the most part – practice what I preach each and every day; we do not consume dairy, avoid grains and try to eat fresh, local foods exclusively in an attempt to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle.
But then a holiday hit… and we fall off the rails! Although we won’t deviate from a gluten and dairy free lifestyle, the appeal of yummy holiday treats loaded with various grains, starches and sugar is hard to avoid.
Let me tell you, as someone who’s family has been predominantly grain free for over a year and a half – I personally can feel the effects of sugar and starch in my system. If I can feel it, there is no doubt that my kids can feel it. I see it in their behaviour and I especially see it in my son’s eyes! They look tired and unfocused. His little belly has become somewhat distended again and his behaviour is quite unsettling. All the hard work of keeping him on the right track – gone. But, I know I can get him back. I have the “expert” that I can consult with… Dr. Sonya!
Here are her TOP TIPS for getting our family back on track after succumbing to Holiday or Vacation Gluttony:
1. (This is the obvious one) RESUME the grain free diet! I don’t have to spell out dairy free too, as we don?t cheat on that one.
2. Probiotics: 3x the regular dosage for the next few weeks
3. Ground Flax Seeds (add some to your daily smoothies)
4. BIO 82 & 87 (homeopathic supplement sold at the clinic or most vitamin stores) for 5 days/ 3x per day
5. Colon X (to help with constipation)
6. Bio enzymes
7. Castor Oil pack, on the belly each evening
We have resumed our regular healthy eating patterns and have taken a few of the above mentioned steps to assist us with what I have called our “Holiday Detox”… and already, I am starting to feel better. Most importantly, I am noticing a positive improvement in my son’s behaviour and overall gut health. Once again – THANK YOU DR. SONYA!!!!
Lizanne Rowe, Family Food Coach, Natural Care Clinic
*originally post to facebook after Christmas 2013