Our bodies possess an astonishing ability to heal itself and over the past few weeks I’ve been pondering how people have become so disconnected with their bodies own amazing capabilities.
Every second that we’re alive, the cells in our body are working hard to bring us back to homeostasis. Unfortunately, it seems like people are pushing their bodies further and further past that middle point and can’t find the path to get back.
Most people are injuring their bodies every day by the way they are living and eating. When we eat and live wrong, these injuries will result in disease. The only way to find your bodies equilibrium is to stop doing the things that cause disease and start doing the things that rebuild the immune system.
Things to do to rebuild your immune system and find your body’s homeostasis:
- Get proper sleep – optimally 8 hours
- Exercise – regular exercise strengthens and conditions the body’s cardiovascular network and helps reduce stress
- Diet – eat a health, nutrient-rich diet. It’s important to minimize our consumption of processed foods, food additives, preservatives, colourants, artificial flavours, and hormones. Eat a diet rich in vegetables and fruits, lean sources of protein, and high in beneficial oils.
- Stay hydrated
- Take probiotics
- Vitamins such as B12, B6, C, E, D, selenium
Listen to your body and try to understand what it’s really trying to tell you. Think of ‘symptoms’ as messages that contain important information about your health. People need to learn to listen to these messages rather than suppressing them.
Ask yourself questions about your body:
- What’s your skin and nails telling you – changes in colour, texture, hydration
- What’s coming out of my body – changes in urine, bowel movements, odour, breath
- Do you crave something? – often this is because your body needs it in some form or another
- Am I always tired?
- Do I feel depressed? Angry? Or have low libido?
- Are my joints painful?
- Does my mind feel foggy?
- Has my energy changed? Am I exhausted at the end of the day?
If you’re body is answering yes to a lot of these questions, it’s sending you a loud message that it’s struggling to find it’s equilibrium and you need help. Bring yourself back to the basics, rebuild your immune system and listen…your body is telling you something.
Dr. Danielle O’Connor, Natural Care Clinic