I will tell you why I am on team flax.
1. Flax is not genetically modified in Canada and grown in the prairies.
2. Flax had a type of fibre called lignans that rock. Lignans are phytochemicals that bind to estrogen receptors and act to decrease hormone based issues like hormone imbalances and breast cancer AND prostate cancer.
3. They do have to be ground to be beneficial, but that process allows to to be used in cooking as an egg substitute for those who can’t eat eggs.
4. The type of good fat in the flax seed, ALA, alpha linoleic acid has been linked to a lowered risk of heart disease and has anti-inflammatory benefits. That is an omega 3 essential fatty acid. The flax seed oil doesn’t have the benefit of the lignans because the oil has no lignans.
5. You only need 1 tablespoon if ground or milled flax seed a day to get all these benefits. The flaxseed have to be eaten raw without cooking but could be added to hot or cold food after cooking.
It is so easy to eat in applesauce, protein shake, or just mix it into chili or any sauce like meal. Give these Power Bars a try; they are my absolute favourite way to eat ground flax seed